The 7th International Conference
The 7th International Conference
The Inter-University Cooperation Program
“Regional Stability through Economic, Social and Environmental Development
in the Greater Mekong Sub-region and Asia-Pacific”
7 – 12 August 2011
Cinnamon Grand Hotel, Colombo, Sri Lanka
With University of Kelaniya as the co-host institution and the uniqueness of the country that made up majority of the population is Bhuddist and it was the coincidence of the world greatest celebration of “ The Kandy Esala Perahera” is an annual event of the harmonious blending of Buddhism and Hinduism. For a long time a traditional procession was held in honour of the four Hindu Gods, Natha, Vishnu, Skanda and Pattini and during the reign of King Kirti Sri Rajasinghe, the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic was also added and prominence that the International Conference for this year had exceeding numbers to 210 participants. There were 35 universities both from Thailand and Canada, Japan, Myanmar, United States of America, Socialist Republic of Vietnam and Sri Lanka. The research papers were consisted of 113 topics and poster presentation 15 topics and with the contribution of the keynote speakers 3 topics.
The sub-themes were as followed:
1. Poverty Alleviation and Welfare Policy
2. Education in the Information Age
3. Culture and Heritage, Ethnic Diversity
4. Migrant Workers and the Economies of Developing and Developed Countries: Labor Rights and Human Rights
5. Food Security and the Green Revolution
6. Tourism Development in the Greater Mekong Sub region and Asia- Pacific
7. Environment, Bio-Diversity and Shared Natural Resource Management
8. Techno-Scientific Progress, Climate Change and the Energy Transition for Development
9. Social – Economics and Politics Challenges within the Greater Mekong Sub region and
Asia – Pacific)
10. Human Development and Health Policy
11. Resolutions and Agenda for Future Action
A joint conclusion, resolutions and agenda for future action as proposed by Senior Professor Edirisinghe Dayaratne, represented University of Kelaniya and Associate Professor Dr. Makha Khittasangka, represented Chiangrai Rajabhat University.
It has been agreed that with this friendly cooperation atmosphere between the two universities and among other universities who participating in the International Conference, both universities proposed the joint conclusion as the following:
1. The new future of Asian society, what then are the possibilities of a new future? It is not clear yet, but there are numerous attempts and group networking to work towards the possibilities such as the ASEAN community in 2015, or the Greater Mekong Sub-region countries within the assistance of ADB and other International Organizations. These endeavors are not fixated in the past, rather they are primary concerned with creating new discourses embedded in the value of economic, social, environmental balance which directing toward the regional stability.
2. Cultural values and balanced development, there is dynamic synthesis between cultural values and development and politics and program for human welfare. These should be recognized, and identified as a mean to “balanced development”
3. The continuity of the sub-themes of the International Conference should be carried on because the fruitful results derived from the researches would be useful for duplication and implementation elsewhere in the regions.